Proverbs: Growing In Wisdom
 The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel:  To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight,  to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity;  to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth–  Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance,  to understand a proverb and a saying, the words of the wise and their riddles.  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. [Pro 1:1-7 ESV]
1. “Proverb” = “__________________” “A succinct and persuasive saying proven true by experience.”
2. Solomon wrote most of Proverbs.
3. Foundational Passage: Proverbs 1:1-7.
A. Attain wisdom and reject________________.
B. Walk in righteousness and avoid _________________.
5. Read a ___________________of Proverbs a day.
Proverbs of Solomon I (10:1-22:16)
Sayings of the Wise I (22:17-24:22)
Sayings of the Wise II (24:23-34)
Proverbs of Solomon II (25:1-29:27)
Sayings of Agur (30:1-33)
Sayings of Lemuel (A King) (31:1-31)
Reminders about proverbs…
Variety of literary techniques.
Not guarantees, but guidelines.
___________________advice, but not exhaustive.
8. The goal of wisdom literature is to ___________________the Word to practical living.
9. ___________________is the wisdom of God (see 8:22-31).
 “The LORD possessed me at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of old.  Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the beginning of the earth.  When there were no depths I was brought forth, when there were no springs abounding with water.  Before the mountains had been shaped, before the hills, I was brought forth,  before he had made the earth with its fields, or the first of the dust of the world.  When he established the heavens, I was there; when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,  when he made firm the skies above, when he established the fountains of the deep,  when he assigned to the sea its limit, so that the waters might not transgress his command, when he marked out the foundations of the earth,  then I was beside him, like a master workman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always,  rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man. [Pro 8:22-31 ESV]
 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, [1Cor 1:30 ESV]
 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ,  in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. [Col 2:2-3 ESV]
10. A prayer: “Lord help us to WALK IN___________________…”
11. The Question We Anxiously Ask…
A. What is God’s ______________for my life?
1. Man in complete harmony with the Creator.
2. Man in complete harmony with the creation.
1. Man’s relationship with the Creator destroyed.
2. Man’s relationship with the creation distorted.
c. Redemption Anticipated in Solomon…
1. God-centered worship at the___________________.
i. Revere His person.
-The Lord is the almighty creator of all things.
-The Lord is the sovereign sustainer of all things.
-The Lord is the eternal judge of all peoples.
ii. Rejoice in His grace.
iii. Receive His Word.
iv. Remember His purpose.
God-given wisdom for the king.
A. Proverbs are guidelines for living, not ______________________in life.
a. In the family…
1. Love your spouse loyally.
2. Instruct your children intentionally.
b. Among friends…
1. Avoid ______________company.
2. Promote good companionship.
c. With words…
1. Guard what you say.
2. Guard what you hear.
d. With wealth…
1. Hard work is valuable.
2. Helping the _________________is vital.
3. Extreme wealth and extreme poverty both appear undesirable.
13. Redemption Achieved in Christ…
A. He is the true temple.
a. Jesus enables the worship of God.
B. He is the perfect king.
a. Jesus embodies the wisdom of God.
14. Redemption Applied in Us…
A. Christ, we live in continual worship.
a. Revere His person humbly.
b. Rejoice in His grace wholeheartedly.
c. Receive His Word consistently.
d. Remember His purposes daily.
15. ln Christ, we walk with continual wisdom.
B. He gives His wisdom to us whenever we______________.
C. He guides us in His wisdom wherever we go.
16. The Answer We Gladly Receive…
A. God desires for me to know and follow _____________________